Green and Seen
How Green Are We?
Planning the 2010 Women’s Health & the Environment Conference involves an enormous number of details, but none more important than those that ensure we are significantly reducing our carbon footprint. The conference sponsors and their partners, the David L. Lawrence Convention Center and the Westin Convention Center Hotel, are committed to protecting the environment and have taken the following steps:
- Carbon offsets have been purchased to account for speaker and attendee travel.
- A fully compostable lunch is being provided for attendees.
- Organic and locally grown foods are prominent in the lunch menu.
- All cups, utensils and related meal items are made from compostable materials.
- All print materials were developed using 100% recycled paper using soy-based inks.
- Materials were printed by a solar-powered, Pittsburgh-based printer.
- Unscented soap is featured in all restrooms used by conference attendees.
- Handouts are provided on a jump drive to further reduce our carbon footprint.
- Tap water in pitchers is available at each table to reduce water bottle use.
- Unused food will be donated to a local charity.
- Onsite signage is made from 100% post-consumer products and is biodegradable.
- All leftover printed materials will be recycled.
David L. Lawrence Green Operational Features:
- Operates its own grey water reclamation plant.
- Uses fresh air to ventilate and cool the building.
- Uses water cambros for fresh drinking water.
- Aggressively recycles all office products and materials including batteries and light bulbs.
- Uses indigenous plants for landscaping requiring only natural rainfall.
- Monitors computer readings of thermostats, light sensors, air in-takes and controllable systems.
- Uses low- or no-volatile organic compounds (VOC) in paints, carpeting, adhesives and sealants.
- Uses environmentally friendly cleaning products and an automatic, green-certified dilution system.
- Uses biodegradable, organic products, including plates, flatware and paper ware.
- Purchases from the Buy Fresh, Buy Local program.
- Composts unconsumed food and kitchen waste.
- Grows vegetables and herbs on the building’s rooftop terrace.
- Considers all natural resources for daily operations.
Westin Convention Center Hotel Green Operational Features
- Energy saver feature in guest rooms lighting/HVAC activated by room key.
- Recycling program in guest rooms and meeting space coordinated in conjunction with Pittsburgh Recycling.
- Make a Green Choice program allows guests the option to refuse housekeeping service in exchange for a $5 restaurant credit, or 500 Starwood points.
- Energy efficient in-house laundry system recycles 80% of the water used to process hotel linens.